Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Where Do You Put Your Treasure?

We have a treasure in jars of clay. It shows that this power is from God and not from us. I’ve always heard it. I grew up listening to Jars of Clay and falling asleep at their concerts. My brother had a Jars of Clay key chain on his backpack for years. It’s not a new concept to me, but I don’t know if I ever fully understood what it meant. I probably don’t understand now.

But we have a treasure in jars of clay.

We are jars of clay.

The treasure is the Holy Spirit.

I am not like God, and I don’t put my treasure in clay jars. I put my treasure in vaults behind rows of guns and guards and dogs. I put my treasure behind lasers and impenetrable doors. I surround it with enchantments through which no wizard can make his way. But God’s ways are not my ways. His ways are higher than my ways and his thoughts are higher than my thoughts.

But what if I, like God, put my treasure in a clay jar?

I would take better care of that clay jar than anything on earth. I would guard it with my life, for if my treasure were stolen or destroyed, I’d be devastated. And that is why the clay jar may be pressed but not crushed, persecuted but not abandoned, and struck down but not destroyed. He will guard us. He will take care of us. He will protect us and keep us from being destroyed, for we are his temple and he dwells in us.

Also, that treasure is a deposit.

So, if you put your treasure in a clay jar, would you come back for it? Would you walk away and leave it? Would you forget where you put it?

No. You’d walk away and remember it. You’d think about that clay jar without ceasing. You’d worry about it. You’d walk away slowly, always keeping one eye on what you left behind, and hurry back as if your treasure were being stolen. You’d leave it in the best of hands. You’d entrust it with someone you would trust your very life with. You’d entrust it with someone strong enough to fight off any enemy and gentle enough to take care of it in your absence.

The analogy is flawed and falls short in many ways. It doesn't tell us the whole story, but in short: Jesus loves us.

Things to pray for:

I'm rather disappointed in my overall experience here. I feel like I've been left on my own to learn what I had hoped to learn. Please pray I would step up and take initiative to learn the things remaining. I have the power to step out and do the good I know ought to be done, but my attitude is not very good, and I'm failing rather miserably. 

Pray I would be able to love well the people God has placed me here to love. 

Perseverance through healing. It's hard and hurts a lot and puts me in a terrible mood for three days after I put forth any effort. I'd rather give up...

No comments:

Post a Comment