Sunday, July 23, 2017

Cute as a Lily


I wanted to go to the party, but the 8pm start time was already past my bedtime. Then someone posted a link for dress buying. I didn’t have money for a dress. I hardly had money for groceries. The next week I got paid, so I had money but no time to order online. I could overnight something, but if I paid $30 for the dress and $30 for overnight shipping, that was more than I was willing to pay for a dress I would only wear once.

Two days before the party I was worried. What would I wear?

It was Wednesday. Payday. What would I wear to the party on Friday? I needed something 1920s themed.

Sometime that week God reminded me, “Do not worry about what you will eat or what you will wear. The pagans chase after all these things, but your Heavenly Father knows you need them.”

So I tried not to worry. I tried to trust him. I invited Jesus to shop with me because I doubted my own shopping ability.

We went to the Hope Center. We went to Salvation Army. We went to the Mall. We went to Ross and tried to go to Down East, but it was gone. The Mall is becoming a ghost town and all the shops are vacating. I went to Maurices and asked the employee if she could help me. She showed me several dresses. I loved the one on the sale rack, but it was still $40. I would pay it if I had to, but first I would check Rue 21 and Old Navy. Rue 21 is no more. I checked Old Navy. I went back to Maurices.

I tried on the dress. The neck didn’t fit it over my head, and I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to rip the dress so I could try it on, but I also had no other options. Time was running out. I had hoped to go home before Village so I could eat, but I wouldn’t even have time for that. How would I have time to look at more dresses? 

I tried on the other size. It was way too big. I tried on the smaller size. 

You see, there were only two sizes because they were on sale. There was an extra small, and an extra large. I usually wear a medium. But I had to try these. The extra small looked like it would fit my body, but how would I get it on? 

I prayed. I tried again. I prayed. I wondered if I could take it home and rip out a few stitches to make it big enough to fit over my head. What if after all that money and all that work it still didn’t fit? What if the rest of the dress was too small too?

I tried again. I carefully forced it over my head. What a dangerous idea.

But it slipped over my hair and only barely caught on my ears and eased over my nose with only slight discomfort. And it fit perfectly. I took it off just as carefully and took my purchase to the register.

“Do you have jewelry and shoes?” the employee asked.

Why no. I don’t. Thank you for asking. I suppose I will take a gander at your jewelry. I don’t buy shoes, but I would like something for my hair and some pearls if you have them.

I took the headband and she rang me up.

$15.


Really? Well, I won’t question it because that’s the price you said. I would love to pay $15 and no shipping for my entire outfit. 

I paid in a daze and left the store. Tears almost came to my eyes as I thanked God for providing such a small thing. I suppose I didn’t really need anything to cover my body. I had other options. But the other options would not have been as perfect for the theme of the party. I had worried about what I would wear, but I didn’t need to. In the end, God dressed me as cute as one of the lilies in the field. 

Things to pray for:

Wisdom as I interact with my coworkers. Boldness and opportunity to share the gospel. That God would prepare their hearts to fall in love with him. 

Continued healing. 

Clarity and understanding that I may know what God is saying to me and obedience to follow through with it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment