Sometime in the past two weeks God convicted me about
gossip. I talk about people far too often. People ask me, “What even is gossip?”
Is it purely talking about other people? Is it something you wouldn’t say in
front of a certain person? Is it saying anything negative?
Ephesians says, “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of
your mouths but only what is helpful for building others up according to their
needs so that it may benefit those who listen.” That covers quite a few things.
I say plenty that does not build anyone up and does not benefit anyone who
listens. Maybe it’s not gossip, but according to Ephesians it is unwholesome
talk and should not come out of my mouth.
At Village a couple weeks ago someone said following Jesus
is like studying for a test. You can study all the wrong answers to make sure
you don’t put them down, or you can study the right answer a lot. We could discuss gossip for ages so that we don’t fall into it, or we could focus
on how to speak like Jesus.
This verse in Ephesians tells us the right answer. We should
say only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs. And
it tells us why it is the right answer—so that it may benefit not only myself
and the person I’m talking to, but that it may benefit anyone who eavesdrops on
our conversation.
Things to pray for:
That I would speak only what is helpful for building others
up according to their needs.
Wisdom for life changes that may come in the near future.
Boldness and wisdom for sharing the gospel. What even is the
gospel? I don’t know. I get confused because people have various strong
opinions on what it is and how to share it.
Continued healing.
No comments:
Post a Comment