It truly is
like walking through a door. We walk down a hallway and God says, “Go through
the fifth door on the right.” So we count the doorways as we walk by and
can’t help but see what’s inside. That looks fun. They’re playing
board games. On the left there, they’re rock climbing. There on the right, they’re
drawing and painting. And here, the fifth door on the right, they don’t appear
to be doing anything. What? That can’t be right.
So you go back
and count again. You look through each door, not really trying to wish a change in God's command, but you accidentally see what they're doing as you walk by and can't quite help yourself.
“They all
look so fun and entertaining. They look like they’re having meaningful
conversations. What is it about this, the fifth door on the right, that God
would want me to be a part of? There's nothing here. It’s boring. It’s
stupid. It’s obnoxious. It’s not what I had in mind when God told me to follow
his will. Surely those other things are more in line with God’s will than this,
the fifth door on the right.”
So we enter a
door.
If we enter a door God did not tell us to, we find it's not what we'd hoped, and we always wonder if the fifth door on the right would have been
better. Was that the door God really wanted me to walk through? Have I made a
mistake and missed out on all the blessings God had for me? Am I a failure at
life? Do I deserve to be called a Christian? Is God going to abandon me because
I didn’t obey him?
Or we enter
the door God said we should. And we find it’s better than we could have
imagined.
There was a prophet who went to a king. I think it was Isaiah. He went to the king and said, "Ask God for a sign," but the king said, "Oh no. I will not put the Lord my God to the test."
Most of us probably would have given in. Most of us probably would have come up with something magnificent, something that only God could do, and no one would dream of attempting, and God would have given it to us. He would have given us whatever we asked for because he told us we may ask. But not this king. This king refused to put limits on God. This king refused to doubt God's power.
And what was his reward for this? What did he get when he didn't ask for anything? God said, "Alright then, this will be the sign to you. There will be a baby born of a virgin. He will be wrapped in swaddling clothes and laid in a manger."
When left on his own, God comes up with something far greater than we could ever have guessed or imagined.
And then sometimes I ask God for things. I say, "Hey, God. There's this thing, and I think it's going to be awful. Could you please make it better? Hey God, would you please stop the rain? Hey God, would you please change my attitude? Hey God, would you please send me someone to sit with me in this pain so I don't have to travel through life alone?"
I ask these things but don't really expect God to answer. And then I'm surprised when he does. And why am I surprised? God keeps his promises. He promised to give me anything I asked for. If I abide in God, and his word abides in me, I can ask for whatever I wish and it will be done for me.
And then I laugh. King Jesus is my favorite.
Things to pray for:
Opportunities to share Jesus with my coworkers. And boldness. Pray for boldness.
Wisdom about how much to take on at once. I want to be out doing things, but I also need to rest so I can do them well. I may be pushing myself too hard. Then again, maybe not. God knows. Please pray that I would know just how much God wants me to do and that I would be faithful to do it.
I'm considering starting a small bible study of girls or a huddle (Resonate's version of a small bible study of girls). Please pray for wisdom about whether or not I should do it. Please pray for wisdom about who to invite. Please pray for wisdom about everything related.
No comments:
Post a Comment