“Plastic Only,” the garbage can says. Some
people obey the sign. Others do not. Some people believe the sign. Others do
not. Some people say, “But I don’t think they meant I couldn’t put a single
piece of trash in there. I found this paper candy wrapper on the ground and
there isn’t another garbage can within sight. I’m sure I could put this in
there. It’s so small. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind.”
Others don’t notice the sign or simply
ignore it. “That wasn’t meant for me.” “I’m sure if they understood my
circumstances they wouldn’t mind.” “I’m sure I’m the exception to the rule.”
“Who really cares if I throw some trash in here?” “That sign has been there for
ages. I’m sure it’s outdated and no longer relevant.”
And we do the same with God’s commands.
We think there is no real reason we need to do things like honor our parents
and serve God alone. We think God won’t mind if we throw in a little something
on the side. I’ll worship God on Sundays, but Money on Wednesdays (payday), and
beer on Fridays (because Friday), and sleep on Thursdays (because Thursday nights are free), and Friends on
Saturdays (because people want to hang out on Saturdays), and work on Tuesdays (because it's the most productive day of the week), and grouchy attitudes on Mondays (because people hate Mondays, so I will too). There is no
problem with that. Not at all. The Bible doesn’t really mean to cut off my arm
if it causes me to sin. That is surely an exaggeration. I don’t see anyone else
with hands chopped off or eyes gouged out. I’m sure it wasn’t meant for this
day and age. We are far advanced and the Bible is no longer relevant to us.
But we don't understand that any small amount of sin opens us up to attacks from the devil.
And what of the verses of women
covering their heads? I’ve heard many things. But in the end, the Bible clearly
says women should cover their heads in worship. It also clearly says we are not
to pick and choose which commands we want to follow. So we should obey the
Bible. In totality.
I’m reading the Passion Translation and
found an interesting retranslation of the women-covering-heads verses.
“A man
who leads public worship, and prays or prophesies with a shawl hanging down
over his head, shows disrespect to his head, which is Christ. And if any woman
in a place of leadership within the church prays or prophesies in public with
her long hair disheveled, she shows disrespect to her head, which is her
husband, for this would be the same as having her head shaved. If a woman who
wants to be in leadership will not conform to the customs of what is proper for
women, she might as well cut off her hair. But if it’s disgraceful for her to
have her hair cut off or her head shaved, let her cover her head.
“A man in leadership is under no
obligation to have his head covered in public gatherings, because he is the
portrait of God and reflects his glory. The woman, on the other hand, reflects
the glory of her husband, for man was not created from woman but woman from
man. By the same token, the man was not created because the woman needed him, the
woman was created because the man needed her. For this reason she should have
authority over the head because of the angels.” 1 Corinthians 11:4-10
Ok, so this says that a woman does not
necessarily need to have her hair covered when worshiping as other translations
assert. The footnotes further indicate that these instructions are simply
urging women not to dress like a temple prostitute. I’ve heard arguments like
this before, and because we live in a time without temple prostitutes, we throw
these verses out the window as having nothing to do with us.
But the footnotes again bring further
explanation. They seem to be saying head coverings are a sign of authority, and
that women are not to have a sign of authority, but true authority. They are to
have true authority not on their heads but over THE head. It’s almost as if
he’s saying that women should cover their heads with a crown. A crown would
show the true authority women have to pray and prophesy in public worship. It
shows she is acting under the direct supervision of Christ—that she is over her
subjects and is ministering to them. She is not to have a symbol of authority
but to have true authority. I suppose she is to have true authority over men.
So we cannot throw these verses out the
window as out of date. Maybe they are not saying women need to cover their
heads in worship (maybe they are). Maybe they are saying women need to wear
badges of authority in worship. Maybe they are saying women need to be valued
and held in honor because they have authority. Maybe they are not saying women
need to have a symbol of authority because they already have true authority.
Maybe it’s like me. I used to ride
horses, and when I did I had no need to wear cowboy boots to prove I was a
cowgirl. I was a cowgirl. The boots didn’t make me what I was. I didn’t need to
pretend to be something. I was something. I have a friend who is a famous
magician. I don’t need his autograph. I don’t need to take my picture with him.
I don’t need proof that I met him. He’s my friend and he views me as a sister.
I don’t need to pretend I know someone famous. I know someone famous.
But anyway, that’s not the point. The
point is these verses have meaning. They have value. They are not outdated or
culturally irrelevant. They are teaching us something. They are teaching us to
change something. Maybe we don’t need to change by covering our heads at
church. But we need to seriously read these verses and learn from them. We cannot gloss over them as having nothing to do with us.
Things to pray for:
I had a great week of rest this spring
break. Everyone was gone so all my normal activities were cancelled. It was
wonderful. But real life is starting again this week. Please pray that
God would give me everything I need to finish this semester well. Please pray
he will remind me to turn continually to him, because I don’t have the strength
or endurance or love to carry through faithfully with all the too many things
I’ve committed to this semester. I need God to flow through me or everything
will be worthless.
Opportunity and boldness to share the
gospel with my coworkers.
A good attitude.
No comments:
Post a Comment