I’ve been thinking a lot about Ephesians 1.
And since I have so many thoughts, I'll put things to pray for at the top:
Boldness and opportunity to share the gospel with everyone I meet.
Wisdom about spiritual gifts. I'm in the market for good friends who can help regulate my spiritual gifts. That is what the body is for. I don't want to be an eye without a head or a stomach without a liver, so please pray that God will give me wisdom and guidance and will bring people into my life who I can team with for the building up of His church.
Continued clarity and freedom as I engage in spiritual disciplines.
And now to Ephesians.
“Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God.”
Beautiful. He was chosen, not by any merits or good works or willingness to
suffer for the sake of the gospel or any other earthly criteria. He was chosen
by the will of God. Because God wanted to use him—a persecutor of the church—to
make His name famous.
“To the saints in Ephesus—the faithful in Christ Jesus. Grace
and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.” Paul gives the
church in Ephesus a gift from God, grace and peace! It’s so beautiful. It’s
amazing. It’s wonderful. Paul is not just giving a greeting.
I imagine he was meeting with God and God said, “Hey Paul, I
want to give the saints in Ephesus my grace and peace. Will you please deliver
it for me?” And Paul said, “Yeah, dog. I love those guys! I’d love to give them
your grace and peace!”
“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ
who has blessed us in the heavenly realms.” Cool, but wait for it. “With every
spiritual blessing in Christ.”
Every spiritual blessing.
We get every spiritual blessing because we belong to Christ.
It’s like going to a warehouse of spiritual blessings and asking for something.
The man behind the counter says, “Sorry, you can’t have that. That’s only
available to club members.”
So you pull out your ID and it says right there, “Belonging
to the Lord.” The man behind the counter finds your request and says, “Please
wander around and see if there is anything else you need. You could use this
tool here, see it attaches neatly to your Belt of Truth. I can also get you
some more oil for your Shield of Faith if you would like. Or maybe you could
use some work on your Sword of the Spirit? I see it could use some polishing. I
can take care of that while you’re looking.”
“For he chose us in him before the creation of the world.”
Maybe he didn’t think of me only or instead of everyone else, but he did think
of me while he hovered over the waters, who knows how long. I wonder what he
thought about as he hovered. I imagine he foresaw all the events of the world.
I imagine he grieved. I imagine he weighed the pros and cons of making the
world. In the end, he decided it was worth it. So he breathed in and spoke, “Let
there be light.” And nothing was ever the same. But it was beautiful. How can I
say all the pain and brokenness of the world is beautiful? Because it was worth
it to God. It was beautiful to God. He finished making everything and looked at
it and said, “It’s very good.”
He foresaw and foreknew and understood every hurt which was
about to unfold, and he made it anyway. He chose it anyway. He chose the pain. He
chose the fight. He chose the dusty beings he’d breathe into life.
“To be holy and blameless in his sight.” And before the
creation of the world he knew what it would take to make us holy and blameless
in his sight. He knew the pain of the broken world, the one we made when we
gave our authority to satan. He knew the pain of the cross, the place he would
take that authority back. He knew all that pain and created us anyway.
“In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through
Jesus Christ in accordance with his pleasure and will.” His pleasure and will.
His pleasure. It pleased God to adopt us as his sons through Jesus Christ. It
wasn’t according to his wisdom. It wasn’t for his glory (it was also for his
glory but that’s not the point here). It wasn’t so the angels would understand
another aspect of God’s character (it was also for that reason, but again, not
the point). It was for his pleasure. He wanted us, so he adopted us. The
thought of adopting such broken human beings made God happy, so he did it.
“To the praise of his glorious grace which he has freely
given us in the one he loves.” Freely given. It cost us nothing. It was a gift.
Like he sent it in the mail and it arrived in my mail box and all I have to do
is walk out there and open it. It’s mine. I may have it.
“In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness
of sins, in accordance with the riches of his grace which he lavished on us in
all wisdom and understanding.” Apparently it is wise to lavish the riches of
grace. Hmmm. That is much to think about. Like I can really act out in ridiculous
and hilarious grace when someone hurts me, and everything will be ok. I can act
in grace instead of acting out in justice to hurt them for hurting me or in discipline
or correction. I can act in grace. I don’t know what that means, but it
intrigues me.
“And he made known to us the mystery of his will in
accordance with his good pleasure.” There is no mystery. God doesn’t hide anything
from us when it comes to his plan about us. He isn’t holding anything back. He
isn’t luring us into some trap or other. He is open and honest about his
intentions in this relationship. He’s told us where his heart is and where he
wants to go with this. He’s left it up to us. If we’re in, we can say so and
jump in with both feet. We can accept his will and plan and good pleasure for
us. We can follow him and listen to him and obey him. We can do whatever he
asks of us, and we can do it knowing the beginning of the story and the end of
the story. Because we know him. And he is both the beginning and the end.
“Which he proposed in Christ.” Like a wedding proposal. He
told us his intentions and handed us a ring. And then he waited for us to say, “Yes,”
or, “No.” Hoping we would say yes, because he loves us and wants what is best
for us. He is best for us. But respecting our wishes if we should refuse.
“To be put into effect when the times will have reached
their fulfillment. To bring all things in heaven and on earth together under
one head, even Christ.” It will be a beautiful day—this day Christ mentioned
when he proposed—better than a two story house with a white picket fence, two
kids, and a dog. Better than anything we can imagine because it is not
something we have ever seen. It is better than anything we have ever seen. All
things will be together. All the fragments of this broken world will be brought
together and reunited. Every shard will find its place. Every wound will be
healed. He will bind up all wounds and wipe all the tears from our eyes.
“In him we were also chosen, having been predestined, according
to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of
his will.” He works out everything so that it conforms to the purpose of his
will. Maybe it tried to deviate. Maybe it succeeded. But God worked it back
into conformity with all that is good and pure and true and noble and honorable.
He worked it back into conformity so the world would be what he intended.
“In order that we who were the first to hope in him might be
for the praise of his glory. And you also were included in Christ.” Praise God.
The first apostles are not the only ones to be included in Christ.
“When you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your
salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised
Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance.” A seal—something
that cannot be broken. A deposit—a down payment. More is coming, but he gave us
the Holy Spirit as a deposit.
Usually a deposit is a small portion of the whole. So, what
is God paying? Himself. He is securing us with the deposit of the Holy Spirit,
and he is coming back for us. He has given us his Spirit as a promise that he
will come back and pay the full price—his full self. What is our inheritance?
The Godhead. And then tears come to my eyes because it is so beautiful. He gave
us his Spirit. It’s like the engagement ring we accepted and now wear on our
hand so everyone can see we are already taken. We belong to someone. We have a
strong man who will fight for us if any lowlife should come bother us in any
way, and the Holy Spirit is proof of that truth. And even better is the fact
that our Holy Spirit deposit fights for us against every enemy.
“Until the redemption of those who are God’s possession.” I always
think the idea of redemption is interesting. It’s like paying a ransom. It’s
like paying a substitute. It’s standing up and saying, “I don’t want my beloved
to die. I will pay whatever cost to get her out of the clutches of evil.” And
we are God’s possession. We belong to him. He bought us. He paid for us. He
carried us out of the store and took us home with him.
“To the praise of his glory. For this reason, ever since I
heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, I
have not stopped giving thanks for you and remembering you in all my prayers. I
keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus, the glorious Father, may give you
the Spirit of wisdom and revelation so that you may know him better.” Paul
keeps asking. He continually labors over the saints of Ephesus in prayer. He
does the real work—asking God to do all the work. He lays down his attempts to
change the world and goes to the one with all the power, asking him to move the
mountains. He asks God to move immovable barriers and continues chipping away
at them as much as he is able. He lavishes wisdom and guidance on the Ephesians,
revealing to them the truth about God in order that they may know him better. His
prayers are fervent and relentless. His human efforts are fervent and
relentless.
“I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened
so that you may know the hope for which he called you, the riches of his
glorious inheritance in the saints.” His glorious inheritance in the saints. We
are God’s inheritance. Now, he is the God of all creation. He is the one with
wealth, power, fame, honor, glory, and anything else at his disposal. Should he
wish for another universe, all he must do is whisper, “Universe,” and it will
jump into being. He can have anything he wants, yet we are his inheritance. We,
the sinful humans who broke his perfect world. We, the ones who chose to be our
own gods instead of following him. We, the ones who took the authority he’d
given us over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, the livestock, all the
earth, and all the creatures that move along the ground, and gave it to the
devil, his enemy. We are his inheritance. What?
Crazy.
Beautiful.
Holy.
This is something higher than my thoughts. These are ways
higher than mine. It’s a life like I’ve never known. It’s different. It’s
unfathomable.
“And his incomparably great power for us who believe.” We
have great power in him. We have all the power in him. Because we’ve been
blessed with all the riches of the heavenly realms. Grace has been lavished on
us. Wisdom has been given us. Revelation has been given us. Power has been
given us. What has not been given to us? And it’s been given to us freely. It
is at our disposal. All we must do is ask, “King Jesus, will you please__.” And
it will be (if you abide in him and his word abides in you and you ask in his
name). We have been given power. We have been given authority. Not only do we
have the authority to say to this mountain, “Go, cast yourself into the sea,”
but we have the power to pick up the mountain and cast it into the sea because
we have the Holy Spirit, our deposit, in us. He can move the mountain. He can
wither the tree. He can tear down, and he can build up. He can say to this
tree, “Be blessed and bear fruit once more,” and it will be done. A broken reed
he will not crush, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. Praise him.
And that’s about as far as I’ve gotten in my pondering of
Ephesians.
No comments:
Post a Comment