"As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins in
which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the
ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are
disobedient." Ephesians 2:1-2
Oops.
There was a time I followed the ways of this world and of
the ruler of the kingdom of the air. I didn’t ask God’s opinion on anything
because I was afraid it would differ from mine. I didn’t ask God’s opinion
because if it differed than mine I knew I wouldn’t follow it. I made my own
path and I followed it. I followed my own spirit instead of the Holy Spirit. There is a spirit at work in those who are disobedient, and I allowed it to work in me.
What changed? I’m not sure. Someone probably prayed. And
then I followed Holy Spirit.
Not so long ago I followed the Holy Spirit. I felt him say, “Left,”
and I went left. I felt him say, “Right,” and I went right. I felt him say, “What
did your boss tell you?” and I did what my boss had told me. Most of these
things seemed unimportant, but when I followed them I found God had someone to
the left he wanted me to pray for, or something to the right he wanted to teach
me.
It was glorious to live with the Holy Spirit for those few
weeks or months. So why did I leave? Why did I decide to stop following the
Holy Spirit and once more follow my own ways? The attack came. The lies came. The
deception came. The confusion came. The anger came. I listened to the lies and
shut down my communication with the Holy Spirit and followed my own path once
more. I stopped listening for a still small voice and followed the old habits
and patterns of my life and of this world.
And then yesterday I was thinking about Ephesians and
realized I do not want to follow the ruler of the kingdom of the air or the
ways of this world. I do not want to follow the spirit who is at work in those
who are disobedient. I do not want to be disobedient. I want to follow Jesus. I
want to pick up my cross and follow him. I don’t want to ignore him. I don’t
want to refuse to listen to him. I want to honor him and do as he tells me even
when it’s not comfortable or makes me nervous and sweaty or is awkward.
Things to pray for:
Following the Holy Spirit is often uncomfortable and makes
me nervous and sweaty. Following the Holy Spirit is often very awkward even though
it produces life-giving results. Please pray that I will submit to God and
follow him. I want to live in the Peace of the Prince of Peace, and I know that requires humility and obedience. Please pray I would follow him.
I’m still a little afraid of my spiritual gifts, but I know
God wants me to fan them into flame and that they are irrevocable. And I’m glad
they’re irrevocable. Please pray for peace about my spiritual gifts and for
opportunities to use them so I can get in practice and not feel so awkward
about them.
Boldness and opportunity to share the gospel.
No comments:
Post a Comment